Monday, September 29, 2008

Dear Spouse

Happy, Happy, Happy, Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday to youuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Had a nice day today - for the first time, my head actually felt...clear. Not fuzzy and jumbled. I cut all pain meds late last week (yes I caved, I took the "hard stuff" when things got bad), and I'm pretty sure that is behind the improvement. I'm certain I'll have to take them off and on for a while, but I'll deal with the hurdles as they come. Still have a lot of numbness from rear to toes - patience. I've talked to so many people who have had similar nerve compressions/neuropathies and almost all of them said it was a matter of months and years, not days. My husband swears my "limp" (more of a shuffle) isn't that obvious. I still disagree, and continue to refuse to appear in public. I'll get out eventually. For now it's pool and home.

Went swimming again today. I'm a little faster. Still no more than a few laps with the kickboard, but the motion does seem a little easier than last week. I do still get extremely tired after I exercise...that's never encouraging...but it is par for the course. Must remember that.

Progress is a good thing.

And on a completely unrelated note: I spent the better part of two hours tonight moving money all over tarnation (yes, I said tarnation I am from Alabama so it IS allowed). So confusing, trying to reshuffle stuff. NOT touching our 401k of course, but we did move things to "safer" ground six months ago, and we did that once again tonight with a large chunk. Debating whether I could/should go for the Treasury Bonds...eh. Then, right after I/we finished throwing money around we don't feel like we have (yes yes, someday we will and we'll be damn glad for it), I get a call from a friend (a "sensible" friend w/upper level finance experience) who tells me they're taking everything out of a large Tennessee bank tomorrow. All of it. She doesn't know what they'll do with it yet...but they are definitely making huge moves. So alarming. Trying to absorb, and trying SO HARD not to look at how much we've lost this year (a lot, oh GOD a lot, and more than folks like us can afford to lose). Long term. Breathe. Long term. I am already uptight about tomorrow morning. I feel helpless and so very discouraged.

Fingers crossed folks. Take Dramamine or you'll get queasy for sure.

No comments: