Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Appointment Number Two

For those of you keeping score, I'll have my second post-surgery checkup in less than 12 hours. The first one floored me...heard many things I didn't know...many things I didn't want to hear or accept. I'm hoping tomorrow's little get together will be a tad more on the 'feel good' end of things. I'm walking each day, though I've cut back to a short trip around the block around lunchtime and a longer jaunt after work. Swimming several days a week - should probably be more, but not right now. Lots going on, what with the whole getting back to my real life bit. Pain does have a way of reminding me what is most important - so in that sense, it does serve a useful purpose. Gets me out of my "zone" when I'm working, off my posterior and moving, whether I want to do it or not (and 99% of the time I can think of a million more interesting things I want to be doing). My own little built-in drill sergeant. Woo hoo.

I must say that the numbness is significantly improved from one month ago. It is still there, but it is not a complete numbness, except in my foot/ankle/very lower calf. The most encouraging thing, so far, has been that both the pain AND the numbness are MUCH better when I first wake. Of course both worsen as I sit, but the fact that I recover by the next morning...that is what's got me so happy. This is the beginning of my new back chapter, I'm not expecting miracles here, just a decent quality of life, maybe another hike or two (or skydiving, a discussion the other day got me REALLLLLLY wanting to jump and yes I know that would be a bad idea).

The weakness has not improved at all, yet. I think it will. Still cannot push off my foot - no achilles feeling, lower calf just isn't working the way it should. My mind tells it, over and over and over, to move, work - not happening right now. I'm not nearly as frightened by it, though, as I realize that strength may be the last thing I get back. Could take a long time. My heels are retired, for now. *sigh* I live in my Keens, Crocs and Merrills for now.

Tomorrow I'll find out if physical therapy is in order. Somehow I don't think he'll go for it just yet - at least not until more of the numbness is gone. Swim, walk, swim, walk, lie down, sit just a little, stretch, swim, walk. No weight loss yet, but no more weight gain so far. I am taking Lyrica regularly at night, but a VERY low dose - and tomorrow I am going to request an even lower dose. The lower the better, as far as I'm concerned. Lyrica really is a miracle drug for me with the nerve pain, but it is a nightmare for weight gain and swelling and just overall feeling "wonky." I think by now we've established that I am NOT a big fan of taking any kind of drug if I can help it.

So that's the update. I am going back to read where I was one month ago, as I promised I would, to remind myself yet again to be patient. This recovery is measured in months, not days and weeks - and I must remember to be patient. Not my strongest suit.

Hobbling along,

No comments: